Glossop Heritage Trust

Glossopdale Schools

Charlesworth.
White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire & Sheffield 1857:
The Independents have a school-room, built in 1823.
The Wesleyan Methodists & Primitive Methodists both have a day school.

Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895:
Congregational, Charlesworth, erected in 1823, for 350 children; average attendance 106; Thomas Ramsden Shaw, master.

Dinting.
White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire & Sheffield 1857:
In the vale are the extensive calico print-works of Messrs. Edmund Potter & Co, who, about 16 years ago, established a school, now attended by about 80 children. In connexion with the school they have also a reading-room for the workmen, which is open at noon, and every evening.

Glossop.
The Post Office Directory of Derbyshire, 1876:
In the list of schools, it states that James Nelson was master of the Wesleyan School, High Street.
Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895:
Wesleyan, High Street (mixed & infants), erected 1851 for 400 children; average attendance, 264; R. H. Dickinson, master.

Hadfield.
Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895:
Catholic, Hadfield (mixed), for 200 children; average attendance 190; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers.

Old Glossop.
The Post Office Directory of Derbyshire, 1876:
In the list of schools, it states that John Addleshaw was master of the Wesleyan School.
Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895:
Wesleyan, Old Glossop (mixed), erected 1824, rebuilt 1876, for 225 children; average attendance, 146; Walter Houseman, master; Miss Hannah Thornhill Adshead, mistress.

Simmondley.
White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire & Sheffield 1857:
In 1844, the Independents erected by subscription a handsome school.

Waterside.
White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire & Sheffield 1857:
The Wesleyan Methodists have a large day school, established in 1808, enlarged in 1832, and rebuilt in 1854; it will hold about 400 children and the average attendance is 120.
A large School Room was erected here in 1856, at a cost of 600, raised by subscriptions, exclusive of the site, which was given by the late Duke of Norfolk.

Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895:
Infants', Waterside, Hadfield; built in 1872, for 170 children; average attendance, 136; Miss A. E. Hall, mistress.

Whitfield.
The Post Office Directory of Derbyshire, 1876:
In St. Mary's Road, there is a handsome Infants' School belonging to the Roman Catholics, to which is attached a small convent for the religious teachers who are in charge of it.

Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895:
Catholic, St. Mary's road, for 200 children; average attendance 70; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers.


Button image Return to the Schools index page
Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 5 December 2016.