Glossop Heritage Trust

Glossopdale Schools

Hadfield Castle School/Council School/Wesleyan Day School, Hadfield Road.


The Post Office Directory of Derbyshire, 1876, tells us "Here is a Wesleyan Day and Sunday school. Jonah Leach was master. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895, mentions: Wesleyan, Hadfield (mixed), erected 1808, enlarged 1822 & rebuilt 1854, for 300 children; average attendance 200; Jas. Nelson, master; Miss Maria Nelson, mistress.

Do you have a school photo for Castle School or its predecessors? Do you appear on a photograph but are not named? Can you supply any missing names for the photographs already on these pages? If so, please click here to send us an e-mail.


Wesleyan Day School, Cutting dated 25/12/1953 Wesleyan Day School, Cutting dated 25/12/1953.
The log book kept by the headmaster of the old Hadfield Wesleyan School has recently been the subject of a series of articles In the Glossop Chronicle and a reader now sends us this photograph of the school which used to stand on the site of the present Castle School.
In 1904 HM. Inspectors announced "No further grant will be paid unless satisfactory plans of the necessary alterations and improvements are submitted." The following year the Inspectors hoped the managers would discuss the matter "Before spending large sums of money on alterations to these awkwardly-planned buildings."
In June, 1906, the Wesleyans having decided not to continue the school, the Glossop Education Committee announced that they had acquired the site of the old school which they proposed to demolish and build a new council school. The contract for the new school was let on January 10th, 1908. The school was to provide accommodation for 300 children and a woodwork and cookery centre for Hadfield children.
The new council school, built on this site, was opened in 1909, but older readers will remember the one shown in this picture.
Castle School
Castle School
Two photographs of Castle School/Hadfield Council School. The photo on the left is from 1908, just after the new school had been built.
Wesleyan Day School, Hadfield, 1906. Wesleyan Day School, Hadfield, 1906


Wesleyan Day School, Hadfield, 1906 Wesleyan Day School, Hadfield Road (site of Castle School, formerly Hadfield Council School) ca 1906.
The teachers are Miss Normanton on the left and Mrs Percy Sargentson (nee Florence Brooks) on the right. Third from the left on the back row is Ada Knott, later to be Ada Williams who taught at St Andrew's School for many years and was Mayor of Glossop in 1966.


"Outside Hadfield Wesleyan Chapel, used as a Day School, ca 1907. Outside Hadfield Wesleyan Chapel, used as a Day School, ca 1907


Hadfield Wesleyan Day School group outside Ivy Cottage, ca 1910 Hadfield Wesleyan Day School group outside Ivy Cottage, ca 1910.


Hadfield Council School, good attenders 1911. Hadfield Council School, good attenders 1911


Hadfield Council School class, 1922 Hadfield Council School class, 1922.


Hadfield Council School staff, 1928. Hadfield Council School staff, 1928


Hadfield Castle School class 1931 Hadfield Castle School class 1931.

Button image Return to the Schools index page

Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 21 November 2011.